In this episode of Talking Teaching we focus on the national teaching standards that are validated by the Australian Institute of Teaching and School Leadership (AITSL). In particular AITSL's chair Professor John Hattie looks at the way Highly Accomplished teachers are using their networks to spread the word about high-impact teaching practice. We also hear from his U.S. counterpart Peggy Brookins who describes the way national standards apply across the American states.
In a separate story, we take a look at South Melbourne Primary School, Victoria's first public vertical school. The University of Melbourne's Associate Professor Wesley Imms says that re-thinking the design of learning spaces is a proven way to boost student interest.
Laureate Professor John Hattie, Melbourne Graduate School of Education, University of Melbourne
Peggy Brookins, President/CEO National Board fro Professional teaching Standards, U.S.
- Tania Crawford – Seymour College, South Australia
- Deana Cuconits – Parafield Gardens, South Australia
- Adele Maughn – Parafield Gardens, South Australia
- Natalie Polak – St John’s College, New South Wales
- Andrew Cornwall – St Bede's Catholic College, New South Wales
- Meghan Smith – Palmerston College, Northern Territory
Principal Noel Creece, South Melbourne Primary
Associate Professor Wesley Imms, Melbourne Graduate School of Education, University of Melbourne
Theme music by Gavin Nebauer.
Talking Teaching recorded and mixed by Gavin Nebauer at The Horwood Recording Studio, University of Melbourne.
- https://www.aitsl.edu.au/teach/understand-certification-and-halt-status – AITSL certification
- https://www.hayball.com.au/projects/south-melbourne-primary-school – Hayball: South Melbourne Primary School
- http://www.news.com.au/national/victoria/victorias-first-vertical-state-school-south-melbourne-primary-opens-for-students/news-story – Victoria's first vertical state school, South Melbourne Primary, opens for students
- https://www.findanexpert.unimelb.edu.au/display/person5653#tab-overview – Associate Professor Wes Imms profile
- https://education.unimelb.edu.au/news_and_activities/projects/the-innovative-learning-environments-and-teacher-change-iletc-project – Innovative Learning Environments and Teacher Change Project
- http://www.nbpts.org/organization/national-board-staff/ – Peggy Brookins profile
- https://extra.teachinghow2s.com/workspace/uploads/resources/pinpoint-expert-teachers_1.pdf – PinPoint Expert Teachers
- https://research.acer.edu.au/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1003&context=research_conference_2003 – Teachers Make a Difference, What is the research evidence?