I have completed tertiary studies but don’t currently meet the learning area requirements. What I can do?

You can meet learning area requirements by enrolling in single-subject study through the University of Melbourne's Community Access Program (CAP). Information relating to fees and enrolments is available from the CAP webpage. Alternatively, you could consider a graduate certificate or graduate diploma at the University of Melbourne or another higher education institution to complete the relevant subjects.

We recommend contacting us with the subjects you intend to enrol in to ensure that the subjects will meet the requirements for the learning area. To assist us with assessment, please attach academic transcripts for all the tertiary studies that you have attempted or have planned.

Please note that confirmation of eligibility does not guarantee an offer of a place. As part of the selection process, eligible applicants will be ranked by our Selection Committee according to prior academic performance and the results of the Teacher Capability Assessment Tool (TCAT) selection test. In addition, some learning areas have a cap on the number of students per year (see question below).

If you don’t meet the requirement for two learning areas in the Master of Teaching (Secondary), you may also consider applying for another teaching course:

  • Master of Teaching (Early Childhood)
  • Master of Teaching (Early Childhood and Primary)
  • Master of Teaching (Primary)
  • Graduate Diploma in Early Childhood Teaching