International Study Opportunities
Exchange and Study Abroad
The University of Melbourne has over 200 partners in 40 countries around the world. Plan your international experience today.
Students from the Faculty of Education have completed subjects in the following partner universities*:
- University of British Columbia, Canada
- University of Oulu, Finland
- University of Bordeaux, France
- Free University of Berlin, Germany
- University of Bologna, Italy
- University of Oslo, Norway
- Nanyang Technological University, Singapore
- King’s College London, United Kingdom
- University of Birmingham, United Kingdom
- University of Copenhagen, Denmark
- Charles University, Czech Republic
- University of Amsterdam, Netherlands
- Jean Moulin University Lyon III, France
* When searching for partner universities search for:
- Program Type: Exchange
- Agreement: Education or General
- Level: Graduate
- Languages: English or any other language you speak
- Disciplines: Education, Teacher in Early Childhood or Secondary Teaching
- Stop 1 run a number of destination sessions. You can also book an appointment with a Global Learning Advisor for specific program or destination advice.
Master of Education & Master of TESOL students can usually undertake study overseas as part of their degree. This can be one subject or for one semester.
The eligibility criteria have recently been amended and principally students must not have a status of “At Risk” in their degree and must be able to get credit for their studies overseas towards their degree. For more details see the Exchange Eligibility website.
Core subjects cannot usually be taken overseas. Students enrolled in the Master of Education and Master of TESOL cannot study the Capstone or an equivalent subject while on an exchange or studying abroad.
Students undertaking a semester-long exchange must be enrolled in a full-time load (37.5 points) or a full load (50 points) and, as such, should course plan to ensure that they have sufficient points available prior to departure.
Students applying to go on exchange must attend a myWorld First Step session held by Stop 1 before submitting their application. Bookings are essential and can be made via the Stop 1 website. Attendance is compulsory.
To learn more about our global learning options, visit the University of Melbourne Study Overseas website.
Funding and scholarships
Mobility/travel grants may be available to assist with the costs of studying abroad. Exchange and Study Abroad students can apply for a Melbourne Global Scholars Award.
To learn more about funding your global experience and the types of scholarships available, visit the Overseas study scholarships website.
Short courses and overseas subjects
The Faculty of Education currently offers one University of Melbourne Overseas Subject (UMOS).
Education Policy in Practice
Education Policy in Practice (EDUC90949) is an elective subject in the Policy in a Global Context specialisation within the Master of Education. However, the subject is open to all Master of Education students. Master of Teaching students can take the subject with the approval of the course coordinator.
This subject provides the opportunity for students to explore and investigate education systems outside Australia and is typically delivered as a staff-guided international study tour and is usually over a 2-3 week period in September/October.
Subject to COVID-19 travel restrictions being lifted, the staff-guided international study tour is expected to visit selected government and non-government organisations and educational institutions in three EU member countries in 2022.
The proposed study tour dates are September-October 2022.