Flipping the Switch to Positive Parenting with Professor Lea Waters
Interview with Professor Lea Waters
Tired of nagging and arguing with the kids? Today's guest suggests that you flip the switch to positive for happier, healthier kids and greater harmony for the whole family.
Professor Lea Waters is one of the world’s leading experts on Positive Education, Positive Organizations and Strength-Based Parenting and Teaching. She’s a psychologist, the president of the international positive psychology association, the Founding Director of Positive Psychology Centre at the University of Melbourne.
Now before you imagine her as someone so impossibly smart and talented and therefore nothing like you and I, she is also a parent, who due to a difficult upbringing herself, was determined to parent differently, successfully and with a wealth of research behind her approach.
Join me as I talk to Lea about:
- Strength-based parenting - What are strengths and how do you identify them in your child?
- The benefits of strength-based parenting for parents
- Why we default to finding weakness rather than strength and how to counteract this
- Stopping the cycle of criticism and the benefits of a strength-based approach for teens
- How to create harmony at home, and
- Practical strategies for building a strength-based approach in your family.
It's a refreshing, fun and positive conversation about parenting and kids!
Thanks for listening.