The Melbourne Graduate School of Education offers casual academic appointments throughout the year. This page contains information about the hiring of casual tutors as well as general casual academic conditions and processes in the Melbourne Graduate School of Education
To apply for available positions select 'Apply Now' and create a user account in the Casual Tutor Recruitment System (CTRS). Through the CTRS you will be able to upload your credentials and select the subjects for which you would like to be considered. Your application must be lodged through the CTRS to be considered. For more information please see CTRS user guides below.
Late applications will not be accepted unless an exceptional circumstance arises based on a school's requirements. All casual academic staff selected need to have applied formally.
|Study Period||Applications Open||Applications Close||Outcome notification||Teaching Starts|
|Semester 2 2022||May 30 2022, 8:00AM||June 20 2022, 11:59pm||From July 4 2022||From 18 July 2022 (see timetables via the subject Handbook links for further details)|
Please note: It is expected that the majority of applicants will receive an outcome within the timeframe listed in the 'Outcome notification' section of the table above. In some cases, because these positions are dependent on student enrolments, applicants may not receive a final notification until the teaching start date for the teaching period.
Applications open: 30 May 2022, 08:00AM
Applications close: 20 June 2022, 11:59PM
Outcome advised: from 4 July 2022
Teaching start date: from 18 July 2022 (see timetables via the subject Handbook links for details)
Man Ching Chan
Rhonda Di Biase
Wee Tiong Seah
Rhonda Di Biase
Wee Tiong Seah
*Please note that the Graduate Diploma in Early Childhood Teaching will be available as a year-long 2022 subject.
CTRS user guides
- Delivery of tutorials
- Look at draft assessment and plans
- Marking of assessment tasks and exams
- Delivery of student consultations
- Email correspondence and basic administration directly associated with each tutorial (entering results, taking attendance etc)
- Communication with Subject Coordinators
Tutors are not paid to:
- Engage in detailed email exchanges
- Use tutorial time to repeat material covered in lectures
- Carry out any of the activities listed below in Subject Coordinator activities
Subject Coordinator / Sessional Coordinator activities
- Coordination and preparation of reading material
- Updating of the LMS site
- Design of appropriate assessment tasks and submission due dates
- Design of tutorial reading program to support lecture content
- Communication with students regarding questions or feedback about lecture content
- Supervision of tutors: providing clear instructions for tutors on reading materials, assessment tasks and assessment policies.
- Approval of timecards (where required)
- Coordination of assessment and timely submission of results (includes verification of entered results)
- Writing of exams and supplementary exams as required
- Any other administrative matters
- Accounts and passwords: activate your email using the identity management system
- Themis timecards
- Casual pay dates
- After-Hours Building Access: Please note that after-hours building access is not generally provided to casual academic staff. All after-hours access requests must be endorsed by the School and will only be provided if absolutely necessary
- Occupational Health and Safety Induction: Online TrainME training
- The University of Melbourne requires all casual staff to complete a 30-minute online module Casual Employees Compliance Training. Sessional tutors can claim payment of 0.5 hours at the 'other academic activity' rate upon submission of their certificate to their supervisor.
- Desk Space: MGSE will provide Casual Academics with designated hot-desk office space.
- Stationery: MGSE will provide Casual Academics with stationary.
- Staff cards: Obtain or update a staff ID card
For application process or technical support using CTRS please email MGSE HR on firstname.lastname@example.org