The University Twinning and Networking Programme (UNITWIN) was conceived as a way to advance research, training and programme development in all of UNESCO’s fields of competence by building university networks and encouraging inter-university cooperation through the transfer of knowledge across borders.
The UNITWIN programme aims to be pertinent, forward-thinking and to affect socio-economic development and emphasise:
- The dual function of UNITWIN Networks as “think tanks” and “bridge builders” between the academic world, civil society, local communities, research and policy-making
- Realignment with UNESCO’s priorities
- Readjust geographic imbalance which is now in favour of the Northern Hemisphere
- Stimulate triangular North-South-South cooperation
- Creation of regional or sub-regional poles of innovation and excellence
- Closer cooperation with the United Nations University.