Graduate Certificate in Modern Languages Education
Get a taste of the Master of Modern Languages Education and become qualified as an accredited Languages teacher with the Graduate Certificate in Modern Languages Education.
Explore the nature of language and its role in human learning and expression and, at the same time, develop your communication skills and intercultural awareness.
- A four-year education degree, or equivalent, or
- An undergraduate degree in any discipline and at least 100 credit points, or equivalent, of graduate study in education.
All applicants must have a major in a language other than English, or provide a statement of equivalence, and be eligible for registration with the Victorian Institute of Teaching.
All students must meet English language requirements.
- Course code: GC-MLED
- 6 months full time or 1 year part time
50 points of coursework, comprising 4 x specialist core subjects:
- Second Language Teaching Methodology
- Grammar for Language Teachers
- Language Acquisition and Teaching
- Supervised Teaching (Second Language).
After successfully completing this course you will be eligible for 50 credit points towards the Master of Modern Languages Education, as well as other master courses.
For detailed course and subject information, see the University Handbook: Graduate Certificate in Modern Languages Education.
This course will deepen your understanding of the theory and practice of language teaching and prepare you to:
- identify the principles and approaches for teaching and learning modern languages education
- apply strategies for recognising and analysing the needs of students who require modern language education
- manage language programs and resources which are culturally and linguistically appropriate.
How to apply
The University of Melbourne accepts online applications year-round from both domestic and international applicants. International applicants can apply online or in person through our overseas representatives.
Start-year intake, 2019
Round 1: closes 18 October 2018
Round 1: closes 27 September 2018
Mid-year intake, 2018
Round 1: closes 31 May 2018
Round 2: closes 22 June 2018
Round 3: closes 5 July 2018
Final round: closes 8 June 2018
Applications for the 2018 Mid-year intake of the Master of Instructional Leadership have closed.
* Dates only apply for courses which are available to international students.
Prepare your application
You may be required to provide the following supporting documentation with your application:
- previous academic transcripts
- evidence of degree completion (testamur)
- evidence of English language proficiency.
It's also worth checking the advanced standing policy (PDF, 209 KB) to see if you are eligible to receive credit towards your chosen course.
Submit an online course application directly to the University of Melbourne.
- If you are a current or past University of Melbourne student or applicant, use your existing student ID/username and password. Registering as a first time applicant will delay the processing of your application.
- Only submit one application per course with your preferred fee type and study load (full-time or part-time) if applicable.
- Commonwealth Supported Places (CSP) are limited and are not available for all courses. Eligible applicants who cannot be offered a CSP will automatically be considered for an Australian Fee Place.
Application outcomes will be sent to your nominated email address or overseas representative.
Applicants are able to check the progress of their application by logging in to the online course application page.
- Lectures and tutorials, on-campus at Parkville.
- 22 days of supervised placement at a school or similar setting during school hours.
- Semester 1, Semester 2
|Fees||C'wealth Supported Place||Australian Fee Place||International Fee Place|
2018 total course fees:
- Australian fee place: $12,864
- International fee place: $16,688