Education (Content and Language Integrated Learning)
Designed for those who teach subjects like science, maths or technology through a second language, the Professional Certificate in Education (Content and Language Integrated Learning) will enhance your skills and understanding of the relationship between language, concepts and cognition.
Focusing on the general pedagogical principles and practice entailed in teaching content through a second or foreign language, you’ll explore the linguistic, sociolinguistic, cultural and cross-cultural issues that can impact on the success of such courses.
- An appropriate undergraduate degree and an appropriate fourth-year level education qualification, or equivalent, with at least one year of relevant professional experience in a content area, or
- An appropriate four-year education degree, or equivalent, with at least one year of relevant professional experience in a content area.
All students must meet English language requirements.
Please note: This course is not available to international students.
- Course code: GC-EDCLIL
- 6 months part-time
- 2 x compulsory 12.5 point subjects:
- Content Language Integrated Pedagogy
- Linguistics and Sociolinguistics of CLIL.
For detailed course and subject information, see the University Handbook: Professional Certificate in Education (Content and Language Integrated Learning).
This course will help you:
- understand the relationship between language, concepts and cognition
- differentiate between everyday language and specialist language
- apply theoretical and pedagogical principles to your teaching
- increase your competence in teaching your discipline in a second language
- plan teaching and assessment activities for your discipline in a second language
How to apply
The University of Melbourne accepts online applications year-round from both domestic and international applicants. International applicants can apply online or in person through our overseas representatives.
Mid-year intake, 2018
Round 1: closes 31 May 2018
Final round: closes 8 June 2018
* Dates only apply for courses which are available to international students.
Prepare your application
You may be required to provide the following supporting documentation with your application:
- previous academic transcripts
- evidence of degree completion (testamur)
- evidence of English language proficiency.
It's also worth checking the advanced standing policy (PDF, 209 KB) to see if you are eligible to receive credit towards your chosen course.
Submit an online course application directly to the University of Melbourne.
- If you are a current or past University of Melbourne student or applicant, use your existing student ID/username and password. Registering as a first time applicant will delay the processing of your application.
- Only submit one application per course with your preferred fee type and study load (full-time or part-time) if applicable.
- Commonwealth Supported Places (CSP) are limited and are not available for all courses. Eligible applicants who cannot be offered a CSP will automatically be considered for an Australian Fee Place.
Application outcomes will be sent to your nominated email address or overseas representative.
Applicants are able to check the progress of their application by logging in to the online course application page.
One on-campus subject, one 100% online subject
Australian fee-paying place
- 2018 total course fee: $6,432
Learn more about the Professional Certificate in Education (Content and Language Integrated Learning) at the Languages Education Courses for Professionals webinar.
Time: 7pm to 8pm
Date: Thursday, 24 May
Our Education Edge email newsletter for education professionals is a great way to stay informed about important admissions dates and stories, research, events and news updates.Subscribe to Education Edge newsletter