I am a domestic student and I only need to take a few subjects to meet a learning area. Do I have to pay fees upfront, or can I defer the payment for when I start working, like HECS?

Australian citizens, humanitarian visa holders, and some New Zealand citizens can defer fees for single subjects to FEE-HELP under enabling studies. Students who do not meet entry requirements for learning areas and need to undertake single subjects to meet entry requirements for the Master of Teaching (Secondary) and Master of Teaching (Secondary) Internship are eligible for enabling studies.

To be eligible for enabling studies, apply for single subject study in assessed mode and clearly indicate in your application that you're applying for an enabling offer (in the section 'Purpose for Study').

The following table illustrates the differences between standard Community Access Program (CAP) and enabling study.

Enabling study
Community Access Program (CAP)

Available to

Australian citizens, humanitarian visa holders, and some New Zealand citizens


Mode taken


Assessed or non-assessed

Tuition fee



Payment of tuition fee

Eligible for FEE-HELP

Must be paid up-front

Tuition fee discounts (for University of Melbourne staff and their immediate families or for University of Melbourne alumni)

Not eligible


Eligible for credit?

Not eligible (except in some instances for students who gained entry via the non-school leaver entry pathway)

Eligible in some instances. Please refer to Gaining credit for single subject study/CAP

To find out more about fees see Single subjects – fees and payments study.

You can also visit our Master of Teaching (Secondary) course page to find out more and apply.

Learn more