Evaluation of Vic Opera’s ‘Connecting the Classroom’ outreach program and three-year regional outreach project
Victorian Opera deliver programs to Schools to familiarise the students on Opera and they provide opera performances at Regional Centres across Victoria. Our evaluation focus has been on the delivery of the 3-year program, as well as determining the effectiveness and impact of this program.
Specifically in terms of the Regional Opera Productions in Victoria the evaluation is to:
- Review the delivery of Opera Victoria’s program to examine whether regional relationships have been enhanced by the specific works presented
- Examine the extent of increased skills levels, self-confidence and empowerment in young people through music education;
- Assess the contribution of the 3-year program to liveability in the community across the five regions
Our main role in the Outreach to Schools Project has been to provide evaluative advice to the Teaching Artist, engaged by VO to assist with the implementation of the Outreach to Schools Project. We have also provided advice on the design of the data collection instruments and on the analysis of data.
The Outreach program has the following expected outcomes:
- Enhance student knowledge, understanding and appreciation of music, performance and the Arts;
- Enrich student well-being and self-awareness;
- Enhance teacher ability and confidence to deliver music-based learning programs and student activities.
- Dr John Owen, Senior Research Fellow
- Anthea Rutter, Research Fellow