MGSE Media Mentions
Laureate Professor John Hattie in ‘Class size is not the most important thing’, Epoch Times, 28 October 2019.
Enterprise Professor Sandra Milligan in
- ‘Research suggests a Learner Profile could be alternative to ATAR score, but what is it?, ABC Afternoons, 30 October 2019.
- ‘Could this be the alternative to the ATAR?’, The Educator Australia, 1 November 2019.
Andrew Norton, Melbourne Centre for the Study of Higher Education in:
- 'Online courses are filling in the education gaps', Australian Financial Review, 28 October 2019.
- ‘Zero Growth’: Enrolment troubles force university to make budget cuts, Sydney Morning Herald, 1 November 2019.
- ‘Taking on higher education will be Tehan’s toughest test’, The Saturday Age, 2 Nov 2019.
- ‘Enrolments flatlining: Australian unis’ financial strife three charts’, The Conversation, 7 November 2019.
Professor Lea Waters in ‘Money is not a magic wand’ for wellbeing, but self-empowerment might be, Stuff NZ, 8 November 2019.
Aaron Jarden, Centre for Positive Psychology, interviewed on ABC News Melbourne. He says people need to lessen the times they ask others if they are busy or what they're doing. In response to audience questions about the topic. Jarden says the University of Melbourne has uncovered if people are too busy, they lack the time to pull ideas together creatively. Broadcast on 3 November 2019.
Dr Shiralee Poed on:
- ABC News Sydney about the Royal Commission into Violence, Abuse, Neglect and Exploitation of People with Disability. Dr Poed said that the Commission is off to a good start by outlining some of the key issues in education and gives an opportunity for the voices of people to be heard in order to see changes and improvements in the system. She notes the question on whether students with disability should be in special schools or mainstream schools is a very contentious issue that has not been addressed by Australia, despite the Australian Government being a signatory to the UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities. She states segregation has increased in Australian schools since 2003 and notes there is a scope for better training of teachers across Australia. Dr Poed adds in 2020, the Federal Government has an obligation to review the Disability Standards for Education again. Broadcast on 4 November 2019.
- Concerns raised about missing voices in disability inquiry, ABC News, 9 November 2019.
- Rushed disability royal commission yet to hear from a victim or person with a disability, ABC News, 9 November 2019.
Associate Professor Hernan Cuervo interviewed on ABC Radio Melbourne mentions year 12 students in rural areas are disadvantaged in the sense of the breadth of the curriculum. He adds the teacher attraction retention for rural schools is low for regional school. He mentions research has shown there has been a decrease in this year's results for rural schools and regional schools. Cuervo says the Victorian Government has a Commission on Expert Panel to study regional and rural education. He mentions they adopted many of the recommendations and set up a package that will kick off in 2020. He says it includes a measure to provide rural and regional Victoria with a better bandwidth of the internet. Broadcast on Monday 11 November 2019.
Debate over special schools at disability royal commission, ABC News, 5 November 2019.
School leavers with low scoring ATAR should not be admitted in teaching degrees, Education HQ, 5 November 2019.
Behind the gates of Australia’s ‘last chance’ high school, ABC News, 5 November 2019.
Schools called out on special needs teaching, The Australian, 6 November 2019.
Reluctant teachers: Disability commission told some are resisting diversity, Education Review, 6 November 2019.
Jenny Macklin to lead new review of training in Victoria (subscription required), The Australian, 6 November 2019.
Aussies want more play time for kids, but when?, Education Review, 7 November 2019.
Are flexible learning options giving schools a convenient way out of taking responsibility for ‘difficult’ students?, The Conversation, 8 November 2019.