New Metrics is a collaborative research venture between the University of Melbourne and selected forward-thinking schools to work in partnership to address the meta-problems faced by Australian schools today and in the future.
New Metrics is an opportunity for innovative school leaders to join with academic experts and international trailblazers to reimagine and influence schooling in Australia – to move away from the ‘grammar of schooling’ that continues to lock our schools into many of the distinctive features of the 20th century version of education.
Australian schooling is ready for a paradigm shift and the development of new metrics to assess, credential, and measure student, school and system success. Young people must now be educated and assessed in new ways so they are prepared for a very different future.
In this research-practice partnership, schools work with experts at Melbourne Assessment to access University technology to support the creation and validation of new metrics.
The partnership provides the opportunity to:
- work with progressive school leaders who have moved away from the traditional ‘grammar of schooling’
- generate new and validated assessment tools for complex competencies
- generate reports and learner profiles that recognise a broader range of what a learner knows and can do
- influence the development of new policy
- garner the necessary support to facilitate real change in schools
- connect with national and international networks of like-minded leaders.