The industry-funded Assessment Research Centre (ARC) is an academic enterprise unit specialising in valid assessment and recognition of complex competencies, and hard-to-assess learning. The centre's focus is on improving assessment, reporting, credentialing and warranting of learning in the industry through original research, consulting, publication, product development, teaching, training and commercialisation.
New Metrics for Success
A collaborative research venture between The University of Melbourne and selected forward-thinking schools to work in partnership to address the meta-problems faced by Australian schools today and in the future.View
Webinar: Propelling education through a COVID-19 world
Episode 2 - Professor Sandra Milligan on: What skills and resources will students need to be agile and thrive, as they head into the world? What needs to be done now to fix a system where many students don’t get what they need to thrive?View
Future-proofing students: What they need to know and how educators can assess and credential them
MGSE Industry Report By Enterprise Professor Sandra Milligan, Dr Rebekah Luo, Associate Professor Eeqbal Hassim & Jayne JohnstonView
Services and capabilities
- Development, testing and validation of testing and assessment tools and instruments, online, paper-based and multi-modal, in multiple languages
- Development of progressions and assessment matrices to support quality assessment of complex competencies
- Credentialing and certification of learning, including micro credentials
- Conduct of multinational, multi-year, multidisciplinary assessment surveys
- Provision of consulting, advisory and evaluation support for organisations innovating in their testing, assessment and recognition of learning strategy or approach
- Provision of modelling and technical support to support valid measurement of learning
- Curriculum, teaching and assessment integration
- Supervision of research higher degree students
- Professional learning for school-based staff and policy-makers
Led by ARC Director, Enterprise Professor Sandra Milligan, our respected team comprises more than 30 academic and professional staff, and a network of consultants and experts whose knowledge, skills and curiosity we regularly draw upon. In addition, our centre supervises over 20 research higher degree students including doctoral and Master of Education candidates.
The Assessment Research Centre is involved in a wide range of teaching activities focused on educational measurement and assessment. Teaching is a vital method of dissemination and used to inform practices of teaching and learning.
The study of assessment with the staff of the ARC reflects the latest theoretical understanding, research methodology and analytical tools available in the field. Skills gained are cross-disciplinary and by their very nature are applicable to diverse fields of work.
The Assessment Research Centre offers subjects in the following Melbourne Graduate School of Education courses:
Master of Education in Evidence-Based Teaching
Use the latest evidence-based teaching methods to increase your impact on student outcomes.
Master of Education
With a flexible course structure and nine specialisations to choose from, expand your professional learning in education theory and practice, across fields such as policy, leadership and classroom practice. Explore course
Master of Instructional Leadership
Master of Teaching (Primary)
Master of Teaching (Secondary)
Subjects which are taught or co-taught by Assessment Research Centre staff include:
- Becoming a Clinical Practitioner (Early Childhood)
- Becoming a Clinical Practitioner (Primary)
- Becoming a Clinical Practitioner (Secondary)
- Clinical Teaching and Learning
- Evidence Based Learning and Teaching 1
- Evidence Based Learning and Teaching 2
- Integrating Clinical Practice (Primary)
- Integrating Language and Clinical Practice (Secondary)
- Leading Assessment
- Learning from Evidence
- The Student as Learner
- Using Data to Build Learning Pathways
The Assessment Research Centre is involved in a wide range of research activities focused on promoting educational measurement and assessment.
Delve into the research conducted by the Assessment Research Centre, including the study of assessment systems, capacity building psychometrics, test development, and performance and competency assessment.Read more
Learn more about the wide range of past and current research projects conducted by the Assessment Research Centre.Read more
The Assessment Research Centre welcomes students who wish to complete post graduate study at the Assessment Research Centre.Read more
The Assessment Research Centre publishes a wide range of written material including books, book chapters, journal articles and project-based reports. Certain publications may be available upon request. Please email: firstname.lastname@example.org, stating the title(s) you are interested in.
View all publications from the Assessment Research Centre in the past decade.Read more
Access a selection of archived research from ARC's research activity over several decades.Read more
Access a range of teaching resources including assessment and learning partnerships, guides and templates, reading comprehension and numeracy.Read more
Explore technical issues in assessment and measurement.Read more
Assessment Research Centre
Melbourne Graduate School of Education
The University of Melbourne