This pages details how to create a profile in the MGSE website 'profiles system' and how to include them in events and other pages.
Profiles are used for Dean's lecture series events and for staff listings e.g. http://education.unimelb.edu.au/arc/experts-profiles
The 'profiles system' allows for the creation of profiles such as the example below, that can be edited centrally and then used anywhere in the website without the need for copying and pasting complicated HTML.
Larissa McLean Davies is the Chief Investigator (CI) of the project. Larissa has a PhD in Literary Studies and is an Associate Professor in Language and Literacy, and Deputy Director - Learning and Teaching in the Melbourne Graduate School of Education at the University of Melbourne.
As Deputy Director – Learning and Teaching, she has oversight over the Master of Teaching Early Childhood, Primary, Secondary and Secondary Internship, and is currently leading the re-development of the Master of Teaching for re-accreditation in 2016.
Larissa is a Senior Researcher in the International Teacher Education Effectiveness Hub, where she leads research at the interface of pre-service curriculum development and teacher education effectiveness research.
In addition to frequent conference presentations, Larissa is regularly asked to talk about teacher education and a clinical approach to learning and teaching, and has given invited presentations at the House of Lords as part of the UNESCO Educational Futures Forum, at Oxford and Plymouth Universities, and for the Victorian Institute of Teaching and the Victorian Department of Education and Training.
Larissa is co-editor, with Brenton Doecke and Philip Mead, of the first book to bring together secondary and tertiary teachers of literature in Australia: Teaching Australian Literature: from classroom conversations to national imaginings (Wakefield/AATE). Larissa’s current research in this area is on the role of ‘literary sociability’ in English teachers’ professional learning.
Step 1 - Prepare profile photo
First you need to prepare your head shot.
Profile head shots should be cropped to a square and saved as a 300x300 jpg.
Try and get a high resolution original photo to start with, then use PhotoShop or other photo editor to crop the image and use save for web to save it to your drive for later.
Here's a video showing how to do this with PhotoShop:
Step 2 - Create the asset
The profile system uses News assets for creating profiles
- Open the Edit+ interface http://education.unimelb.edu.au/_edit/
- Click on 'New' button in the top menu to open the Asset Creation Wizard.
- Click on 'News Item'.
The News Item pane should now be open.
- Enter the Title and Full Name of the person in the the 'Title' field
- Click on 'Set New Location', to choose the location to save the item.
The Asset Finder pane should open
- Navigate to and select the MGSE/profiles/profile folder
- Click the 'Select' button at the bottom right of the Asset Finder.
You will be returned to the News Item pane
- Click the 'Create' button at the bottom right of the News Item pane.
You should be presented with the following screen
- Click the 'Edit' button.
Go to next step
Step 3 - Add initial details and upload and link profile photo
Your new News Item (Profile) Asset screen should be displayed
- If you are including the persons phone number with there profile, enter it into the 'Contact Phone' field
- If your profile is NOT going to have a read more section (like in the sample on overview tab), then set 'Show Body' to No
- If you have a link for your profile (usually a link to find an expert page or other external profile page) add it in the Related link section.
- Set image is where you choose the head shot image for the profile, but you need to upload the image first:
- Click 'Save' to save above changes to your new Profile asset
- Click 'New', 'Files', 'Image'
- Browse to find the head shot image you prepared earlier
- Enter a title and alt tag for the image - use the persons name for both
- Click Select to open Asset Finder
- Navigate to and select your newly created profile (It should be in MGSE/profiles/profile folder)
- Click 'Select' - You will return to the Image pane
- Click 'Create'
- Click 'Edit'
- Make your image live
- Use the Asset browser to return to the Profile asset Details screen and Use 'Set Image' to select the image you just uploaded
- Click 'Save'
Step 4 - Add further details and make live
- Click on the 'Content' tab
- In the Summary text box add the first paragraph of the profile.
- In the Body text box add the remainder of the profile
- Click 'Save'
NOTE: the content in the Body text box is what will be in the 'Read more' section for the profile. If the 'Read more' is not required do not enter content in here and be sure that 'Show Body' is set to No on the Details tab.
- Click on the 'Metadata' tab
- If you are including the persons email address in their profile add it to the Email field
- If you are including the persons twitter handle in their profile add it to the Twitter Handle field eg @handle
- Click 'Save'
- Click on 'Details' tab to return to the asset details screen.
- Make the the asset live
- Choose "Approve and Make Live" from Status section 'Change?' drop down
- Click 'Save' button at top right hand corner
Step 5 - Using the profile
The profile can be used in three ways:
- In events - Most commonly DLS events
- See Creating events for how to add a profile to an event (its in the metadata tab for events)
- Nesting it directly on page using the 'single nested profile' paint layout
- Nesting several profiles in a Two column max layout using the 'profile listing' asset list