If you are seeking advice about your supervision, or if you have concerns relating to your thesis that you would like to discuss with someone other than your supervisors or Advisory Committee, please contact email@example.com. The Graduate Research Liaison will be able to assist in the first instance and can also put you in touch with the Assistant Dean (Research Training).
Academic Skills offers excellent resources for local and international graduate students on researching and writing academic texts and giving oral presentations. Visit their website to find out more about their workshops, courses, individual tutorial services and guidelines.UpSkills AIRport (Academic Interactive Resources portal)
Thesis writing circle
The Thesis Writing Circle, run by Academic Skills, provides a supportive environment for you to workshop your writing and receive regular, constructive peer-feedback.By participating in this free program, you have the opportunity to:
- Develop writing and text analysis skills
- Increase your understanding of effective ways to organise written text within a thesis
- Practise writing and editing strategies to improve the clarity of your written expression
- Increase your confidence as an academic writer and develop your awareness of writing issues and resources.
- Develop peer-networks and collegial relationships
The Thesis Writing Circle meets for a two-hour workshop each week for eight weeks. The time and place of the workshops is decided by the participants and the Academic Skills facilitator. Workshops are limited to 12 participants.The Thesis Writing Circle is open to those who
- are international and local, from non-English-speaking background and English-speaking background students
- are undertaking a research degree
- have completed at least a third of their candidature
- have completed a chapter outline for their thesis, drafts of at least one chapter, and a critical review of research literature
- can attend seven of the eight workshops
- Discuss a text-feature or writing strategy
- Provide feedback on a partner’s work
- Review their own writing in light of comments received through the peer feedback process
The text-features and writing strategies discussed in workshops will be determined by the needs and interests of participants.
To find out about when the next Thesis Writing Circle is taking place, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Shut up & write @ MGSR
Keep your word count climbing! Come and write your thesis chapter, journal article, book or blog in a convivial atmosphere. Find out more on their website.
Reading and study groups
Are you feeling isolated working alone on your research? Would like to discuss your ideas and reading with others?
Why not join a current reading or study group, or start your own?
For example, the Cultural Historical Activity discussion group meets monthly to discuss relevant papers. The group meetis at Deakin University however you can join them via telephone, Skype or Jabber.
Another group is the Cross-cultural Research Study Group, who discuss issues related to conducting research in an overseas context.
To find out more about current study groups, or to start your own, contact email@example.com
Manuscript preparation support place
A limited number of Manuscript Preparation Support places will be available for students to refine your conference presentations into a publishable article.
These places are aimed at those students who are in the writing-up stage of their research.
If you are successful in gaining one of these places, you will be linked with an academic mentor who will provide feedback on your draft of an article, and will suggest possible publishing avenues.
Those of you who gain a Manuscript Preparation Support place will receive a Publication Grant (of $500) if you submit your article to a refereed journal by a set date (set three months after the conference date).
For more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Equipment loan enquiries (including laptops, digital recorders, voice recorders, foot pedals used to transcribe interviews):: MGSE Service Desk 8344 8736 or go to the Business Centre, Level 3, 100 Leicester Street
Printing and specials software enquiries (language etc): email@example.com