Explore the science of learning and how the brain works with the Professional Certificate in Educational Neuroscience. You’ll examine how this emerging and exciting field can be successfully translated to improve classroom teaching and learning.
You’ll gain a broad understanding of the scientific method behind the design, delivery and evaluation of learning interventions, along with the brain and behavioural mechanisms which underpin learning.
This cutting edge course is built around the work of national and international leaders in the fields of neuroscience, psychology, educational science, and philosophy.
An undergraduate degree in any discipline.
Applicants with a degree in an area other than education but who work in a related profession are encouraged to apply.
All students must meet English language requirements.
- 1 year part-time
25 points of coursework, comprising 2 x compulsory 12.5 point subjects:
- Foundations of the Science of Learning
- Brain, Mind and Education
For detailed course and subject information, see the University Handbook: Professional Certificate in Educational Neuroscience.
The Professional Certificate in Educational Neuroscience will give you a broad understanding of the scientific method behind the design, delivery and evaluation of learning interventions, along with the brain and behavioural mechanisms which underpin learning.
You will learn how to evaluate the validity of educational, psychological and neuroscientific research, enabling you to critically reflect on your own teaching philosophies and practices, and make informed choices about new educational methods and products you would like to adopt.
On completion of this course you will be able to:
- understand essential concepts in neuroscience, including brain structure and function, neural correlates of learning, and cognitive development
- understand the basics of neuroimaging and what pictures of the brain actually reveal
- have in-depth knowledge of the latest research concerning the neuroscientific, psychological, and educational underpinnings of learning and apply these to your classroom or school
- design, deliver, and evaluate learning interventions
- share emerging knowledge with your learning community in order to impact constructive change in your school environment
- reflect on emerging research and consider how certain ideas may – or may not – be beneficial for classroom practice.
After completing this program, you may be eligible for 25 points of credit towards a relevant graduate certificate or masters qualification.
How to apply
The University of Melbourne accepts online applications year-round from both domestic and international applicants. International applicants can apply online or in person through our overseas representatives.
Start year intake, 2018
Round 1 closes: 31 October 2017
Round 2 closes: 15 December 2017
Round 1 closes: 31 July 2017
Round 2 closes: 15 December 2017
* Dates only apply for courses which are available to international students.
Prepare your application
You may be required to provide the following supporting documentation with your application:
- previous academic transcripts
- evidence of degree completion (testamur)
- evidence of English language proficiency.
It's also worth checking the advanced standing policy (PDF, 209 KB) to see if you are eligible to receive credit towards your chosen course.
Submit an online course application directly to the University of Melbourne.
- If you are a current or past University of Melbourne student or applicant, use your existing student ID/username and password. Registering as a first time applicant will delay the processing of your application.
- Only submit one application per course with your preferred fee type and study load (full-time or part-time) if applicable.
- Commonwealth Supported Places (CSP) are limited and are not available for all courses. Eligible applicants who cannot be offered a CSP will automatically be considered for an Australian Fee Place.
Application outcomes will be sent to your nominated email address or overseas representative.
Applicants are able to check the progress of their application by logging in to the online course application page.
Australian fee-paying place
- 2018 total course fee: $6,432
To learn more about student loans, scholarships and government fee-assistance programs, visit the Financial support and scholarships page.
Our Education Edge email newsletter for education professionals is a great way to stay informed about important admissions dates and stories, research, events and news updates.Subscribe to Education Edge newsletter