Become a teacher
Discover the unique and innovative Master of Teaching curriculum, which combines theory and practice to offer powerful insights into children and young people, and how they learn.
The only initial teaching degree in Australia to use a genuine clinical framework, the Master of Teaching will help you develop the professional skills to assess, diagnose and support the individual learning needs of all students, and work with learners of all abilities.
- Teaching (Early Childhood)
- Teaching (Early Childhood and Primary)
- Teaching (Primary)
- Teaching (Secondary)
The Master of Teaching difference
You will become an active member of a school or early childhood community from early in your first semester, which means you can connect what you learn at university with what you learn in the classroom.
Through the course of your studies you will be provided with:
- a Mentor Teacher who is responsible for supporting and guiding you throughout your placement
- a Teaching Fellow who coordinates your placement and provides you with support, feedback and assessment
- a Clinical Specialist who teaches in the Master of Teaching program and visits you on placement.
As well as providing a direct career path into teaching, the Master of Teaching program will benefit those who wish to pursue a career in areas such as:
- children’s services coordination
- education research
- policy formation
- quality regulation and assessment
- early intervention for children with special needs
- assessment and evaluation
- youth health and wellbeing.
- At the completion of your studies you will be well equipped to begin a teaching role in your chosen area.
- Our teacher education courses are ranked the highest in Victoria for overall course satisfaction, teaching and skills.
- 96 per cent of our graduates gain employment within the first four months of graduating (Quality Indicators for Learning and Teaching Course Experience Survey 2015-16).
- On campus and placements in early childhood settings and schools
- Semester 1 (February)
- 2 years full time
- Part time options available. See course pages for details.
- Commonwealth Supported Places (available to all eligible domestic students), Australian fee-paying places, International fee places.
- See the fees tab for more information on course fees, scholarships and HELP payments.
- Undergraduate degree from approved instutution
- Teacher Capability Asessment Tool
- Minimum English language requirements
- For secondary - Previous study that satisfies requirements for two learning areas
Home to a number of internationally recognised education experts, we are at the cutting edge of teaching and research.
The Melbourne Graduate School of Education is number one in Australia for education and top five in the world (QS World University Rankings by Subject 2017)