Giving you contemporary in-depth knowledge of literacy policy, theory and curriculum, this specialisation allows you to lead schools and students in all facets of literacy development, from early years to adulthood.
You’ll gain a multifaceted view of contemporary literacy in schools and society through the study of subjects focused on policy, multimodal texts, reading, viewing and writing. With a comprehensive understanding of literacy as social practice, you’ll be equipped with the latest evidence-based research in literacy and teaching to support a diverse range of learner abilities and needs.
This specialisation is ideal for those who want to move into literacy leadership roles or who are looking to gain a greater understanding and broader perspective of literacy education.
Upon successful completion you will be able to:
- Conceptualise 21st Century literacies as social practices requiring a broad range of knowledge, skills, strategies and understandings
- Plan and evaluate literacy teaching drawing on contemporary research, theory and scholarship
- Use clinical approaches to teaching literacy, which reflect learners’ needs, interests and abilities
- Understand key debates impacting on the teaching of literacy in schools
- Understand how language and literacy develop from birth to adulthood
- Understand the importance of language and literacy in schooling across the curriculum
- Demonstrate leadership in the literacy curriculum.
Sample course plan (full-time)
Students with 100 points of advanced standing enter in year two.
Understanding Education in Context
Local Literacies in Global Contexts
Curriculum Design and Evaluation
Leading Educational Ideas
Resilience and Relationships
The Student as Learner
Teaching for Student Engagement
Education, Politics and Social Movements
Contemporary Literacies: Policy and Piraxis
Reading Texts: Selection to Response
Teaching English Internationally
Literacy Practices and Diverse Learners
Literacy Leadership in the 21st Century
Creating Texts: Designing Meaning
Research Methods in Education
Education Capstone Research Project
- Core subject
- Specialisation core