Gain the knowledge and skills to play a leading role in fostering creativity through this specialisation designed for creative practitioners and arts education professionals.
Led by the largest school of arts education specialists in the country, the Arts Education specialisation involves a critical inquiry into arts-based engagement, learning, pedagogy and practice. You will engage with issues, practices and theories about learning in and through the arts in diverse settings.
Art meets technology
This specialisation utilises the University’s state-of-the-art arts education space studioFive. Comprising specialist studios for drama, music and visual art, studioFive is a multi- purpose technology-rich facility that can be tailored to teaching styles in each artistic discipline from media to dance.
Relevant to arts education specialists, generalist teachers, artists, community educators and other practitioners who work with children and young people, this specialisation allows you to specifically focus on music, the visual arts or drama.
Upon successful completion of the program you will:
- Have an advanced theoretical understanding of current research, debates, policies and practices in arts education from multidisciplinary and global perspectives
- Be able to create and implement an effective arts-based learning environment
- Be able to critically analyse educational theories, debates, policies and practice through evidence-based research
- Be able to evaluate the social, cultural, political and historical contexts informing education policies and practices
- Be able to critique and apply multidisciplinary educational theories and evidence-based research to inform policy and/or improve professional practice.
Sample course plan (full-time)
Students with 100 points of advanced standing enter in year two.
Understanding Education in Context
Local Literacies in Global Contexts
International Issues in Arts Education
Leading a Learning Community
Resilience and Relationships
The Student as Learner
Student Wellbeing: Current Approaches
Story, Children and the Arts
Engagement and the Arts
Arts Practice and Evaluation
Diversity, Inclusion and Transitions
Linking School and Community
Communities of Art Practice
Identity, Culture and the Arts
Research Methods in Education
Education Capstone Research Project
- Core subject
- Specialisation core