Education (International Baccalaureate)
Masters Graduate Certificate
The Master of Education (International Baccalaureate®) (IB) and Graduate Certificate in Education (IB) Primary Years Programme promote the development and growth of the whole person - intellectual, personal, emotional and social.
These specialist degrees will broaden your understanding of the philosophy of the IB and give you the skills to work in international education.
Taught by leading experts, these courses are for early childhood and primary educators who want to, or currently, teach in IB schools, and seek specialised knowledge and advanced qualifications in IB education.
The University of Melbourne also offers the IB Diploma Programme through Graduate Courses Online.
- An approved degree and an approved teaching qualification, or
- An approved four-year teaching degree, or
- A relevant tertiary degree and documented relevant professional or teaching experience, which together demonstrate preparation for the course comparable to an applicant with an approved teaching qualification.
All students must meet English language requirements.
Graduate Certificate in Education (International Baccalaureate®)Primary Years programme:
- Course code: GC-EDIBPY
- 1 year part-time
- 50 points of coursework, comprising 4 x core 12.5 point subjects.
For detailed course and subject information, see the University Handbook: Graduate Certificate in Education (International Baccalaureate®).
Master of Education (International Baccalaureate®)Primary Years programme:
- Course code: MC-EDIBPY
- 1 year full-time or 2 years part-time
100 points of coursework, comprising:
- 75 points of core subjects (including the capstone requirements)
- 25 points of elective subjects.
For detailed course and subject information, see the University Handbook: Master of Education (International Baccalaureate®).
Students who undertake these courses are eligible for certification from the International Baccalaureate® Organisation, qualifying them to work in any school teaching IB in the world.
These courses will enable you to:
- understand the philosophy of the IB and how it fosters international mindedness
- articulate the centrality of the learner profile in IB education and implications for learning and teaching
- consider different tools and strategies for assessing student learning and the extent to which these encourage critical thinking and meet the diverse needs of students
- explore the pedagogy of student-directed inquiry, interdisciplinary learning, and the development of higher order thinking skills.
After completing the graduate certificate, you may be eligible for 50 points of credit towards the masters.
How to apply
The University of Melbourne accepts online applications year-round from both domestic and international applicants. International applicants can apply online or in person through our overseas representatives.
Start year intake, 2018
Round 1 closes: 31 October 2017
Round 2 closes: 15 December 2017
Round 3 closes: 31 January 2018
Round 1 closes: 31 July 2017
Round 2 closes: 15 December 2017
* Dates only apply for courses which are available to international students.
Prepare your application
You may be required to provide the following supporting documentation with your application:
- previous academic transcripts
- evidence of degree completion (testamur)
- evidence of English language proficiency.
It's also worth checking the advanced standing policy (PDF, 209 KB) to see if you are eligible to receive credit towards your chosen course.
Submit an online course application directly to the University of Melbourne.
- If you are a current or past University of Melbourne student or applicant, use your existing student ID/username and password. Registering as a first time applicant will delay the processing of your application.
- Only submit one application per course with your preferred fee type and study load (full-time or part-time) if applicable.
- Commonwealth Supported Places (CSP) are limited and are not available for all courses. Eligible applicants who cannot be offered a CSP will automatically be considered for an Australian Fee Place.
Application outcomes will be sent to your nominated email address or overseas representative.
Applicants are able to check the progress of their application by logging in to the online course application page.
- On-campus at Parkville
- Intensive workshops on weekends or in school holidays
- Electives are offered on weekdays as well as weekends.
|Fees||C'wealth Supported Place||Australian Fee Place||International Fee Place|
Learn more about financial support.
The Master of Education (International Baccalaureate) Primary Years Programme gave the insight into the IB model I was looking for, as well as exposure to cutting edge research in assessment, feedback and instructional design. It was the perfect platform to extend my professional learning around improving teaching and learning in our school. The structure, rigor and high quality feedback made the experience a powerful catalyst for authentic growth in our learning community.