The establishment of a national history curriculum in recent years was a significant milestone for education in Australia. The Professional Certificate in History Education provides comprehensive support to teachers as they implement it.
You will explore a range of topics derived from the Australian Curriculum and develop an understanding of theory and practice in history education. Examining the exciting area of historical thinking will enhance your teaching.
The Professional Certificate in History Education is designed to meet the needs of a range of teachers. Those with a background in history will have the opportunity to explore topics they may not have encountered before, and those who are new to history will acquire the knowledge and skills to implement the national curriculum.
- An undergraduate degree and a fourth-year level teaching qualification, or equivalent, or
- A four-year teaching degree, or equivalent.
All students must meet English language requirements.
Please note: this course is not available to international students.
- 1 year part-time
- 2 x compulsory 12.5 point subjects:
- Historical Thinking
- Historical Inquiry.
For detailed course and subject information, see the University Handbook: Professional Certificate in History Education.
In this course, you will:
- deepen your understanding of theory and practice in history education
- study a range of historical periods included in the Australian Curriculum (including social, political, economic and cultural developments)
- engage in historical thinking through analysis of primary and secondary sources
- critically analyse leading models of historical thinking and their implications for learning and teaching
- design, use and evaluate resources for teaching history.
After completing this course, you may be eligible for 25 points of credit towards a relevant graduate certificate or masters qualification, such as the Master of Education.
How to apply
The University of Melbourne accepts online applications year-round from both domestic and international applicants. International applicants can apply online or in person through our overseas representatives.
Start year intake, 2018
Round 1 closes: 31 October 2017
Round 2 closes: 15 December 2017
Round 3 closes: 31 January 2018
Round 1 closes: 31 July 2017
Round 2 closes: 15 December 2017
* Dates only apply for courses which are available to international students.
Prepare your application
You may be required to provide the following supporting documentation with your application:
- previous academic transcripts
- evidence of degree completion (testamur)
- evidence of English language proficiency.
It's also worth checking the advanced standing policy (PDF, 209 KB) to see if you are eligible to receive credit towards your chosen course.
Submit an online course application directly to the University of Melbourne.
- If you are a current or past University of Melbourne student or applicant, use your existing student ID/username and password. Registering as a first time applicant will delay the processing of your application.
- Only submit one application per course with your preferred fee type and study load (full-time or part-time) if applicable.
- Commonwealth Supported Places (CSP) are limited and are not available for all courses. Eligible applicants who cannot be offered a CSP will automatically be considered for an Australian Fee Place.
Application outcomes will be sent to your nominated email address or overseas representative.
Applicants are able to check the progress of their application by logging in to the online course application page.
On-campus at Parkville.
|Fees||C'wealth Supported Place||Australian Fee Place||International Fee Place|
Learn more about financial support.
Related coursesYou may be interested in:
- Master of Literacy Education
- Master of English in a Global Context
- Master of Modern Languages Education
- Graduate Certificate in Modern Languages Education
- Professional Certificate in Education (Content and Language Integrated Learning)
- Master of TESOL
- Graduate Certificate in TESOL
- Professional Certificate in Arts Education
- Professional Certificate in History Education