There will be no intake for this course in 2017.
The Graduate Certificate in Tertiary Teaching is for teachers developing and delivering qualifications at Diploma level and above within TAFE institutes, enterprise registered training organisations, private providers and mixed sector tertiary education institutions.
Through this course you will develop an understanding of teaching, learning and scholarship in higher level qualifications delivered within tertiary education settings.
You will be taught by academics and researchers who have worked at TAFE institutes and with private providers, and understand the challenges facing teachers in these workplaces.
An undergraduate degree in any discipline, or equivalent.
Applicants without a relevant degree but with at least 6 years relevant work experience are encouraged to provide a CV with their application to be considered.
All students must meet English language requirements.
- 1 year part-time
- 50 points of coursework, comprising 4 x compulsory 12.5 point subjects.
You will explore the principles and practice of quality tertiary teaching, learning, assessment and evaluation, curriculum design and education project design.
For detailed course and subject information, see the University Handbook: Graduate Certificate in Tertiary Teaching.
You will develop a scholarly approach to your teaching, align learning objectives and assessment, and implement student-centred teaching and learning strategies that can be directly applied within your workplace.
You will also learn how to understand the needs, characteristics and expectations of your students, and the factors that shape teaching qualifications at Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF) level 5 and above.
You will gain:
- a critical understanding of the principles of quality teaching and assessment for learning in tertiary education settings
- knowledge of some of the key research relating to teaching and learning at AQF level 5 and higher, and the major debates in the area
- an understanding of the place of assessment in tertiary education, and skills in using assessment design to enhance learning
- curriculum design skills
- awareness of innovative teaching procedures and confidence in experimenting with new approaches
- a readiness to reflect on your own teaching practice and to use this reflection for continuous improvement.
Weekend intensives on-campus at Parkville.
|Fees||C'wealth Supported Place||Australian Fee Place||International Fee Place|
Learn more about financial support.
This course challenged me to develop a much more informed and reflective teaching practice - a challenge I have enjoyed embracing. The support and knowledge provided by the teaching staff enabled me to work on several new projects, leading to the successful Tertiary Education Quality and Standards Agency accreditation of 11 new higher education programs. It also inspired me to complete the Postgraduate Certificate in Educational Research, with the intention of further studies to come.
Related coursesYou may be interested in:
- Master of Tertiary Education (Management)
- Graduate Certificate in Tertiary Education (Management)
- Graduate Certificate in Advanced Learning and Leadership
- Graduate Certificate in Tertiary Education (Governance)
- Graduate Certificate in Tertiary Education (Quality Assurance)
- Graduate Certificate in Tertiary Education (Research Management and Policy)
- Graduate Certificate in University Teaching