Education (Content and Language Integrated Learning)
The Professional Certificate in Education (Content and Language Integrated Learning) is designed for those who teach subjects like science, maths or technology through a second language.
This course covers pedagogy, international approaches and essential methodology as well as cross-cultural and sociolinguistic issues.
- An appropriate undergraduate degree and an appropriate fourth-year level education qualification, or equivalent, with at least one year of relevant professional experience in a content area, or
- An appropriate four-year education degree, or equivalent, with at least one year of relevant professional experience in a content area.
All students must meet English language requirements.
Please note: This course is not available to international students.
- Course code: GC-EDCLIL
- 6 months part-time
- 2 x compulsory 12.5 point subjects.
For detailed course and subject information, see the University Handbook: Professional Certificate in Education (Content and Language Integrated Learning).
This course will help you:
- understand the relationship between language, concepts and cognition
- differentiate between everyday language and specialist language
- understand the linguistic, sociolinguistic, cultural and cross-cultural issues that impinge on the success of courses taught through a second or foreign language
- apply theoretical and pedagogical principles to your teaching
- increase your competence in teaching your discipline in a second language
- plan teaching and assessment activities for your discipline in a second language
- become familiar with the materials available for teaching your discipline in a second language, and adapt materials to suit your students’ needs.
How to apply
The University of Melbourne accepts online applications year-round from both domestic and international applicants. International applicants can apply online or in person through our overseas representatives.
Mid-year intake, 2017
Round 1 closes: 31 May 2017
Round 2 closes: 30 June 2017
Round 1 closes: 28 February 2017
Round 2 closes: 12 June 2017
* Dates only apply for courses which are available to international students.
Prepare your application
You may be required to provide the following supporting documentation with your application:
- previous academic transcripts
- evidence of degree completion (testamur)
- evidence of English language proficiency.
It's also worth checking the advanced standing policy (PDF, 209 KB) to see if you are eligible to receive credit towards your chosen course.
Submit an online course application directly to the University of Melbourne.
- If you are a current or past University of Melbourne student or applicant, use your existing student ID/username and password. Registering as a first time applicant will delay the processing of your application.
- Only submit one application per course with your preferred fee type and study load (full-time or part-time) if applicable.
- Commonwealth Supported Places (CSP) are limited and are not available for all courses. Eligible applicants who cannot be offered a CSP will automatically be considered for an Australian Fee Place.
Application outcomes will be sent to your nominated email address or overseas representative.
Applicants are able to check the progress of their application by logging in to the online course application page.
On-campus at Parkville with online learning support.
|Fees||C'wealth Supported Place||Australian Fee Place||International Fee Place|
Learn more about financial support.
Our Education Edge email newsletter for education professionals is a great way to stay informed about important admissions dates and stories, research, events and news updates.Subscribe to Education Edge newsletter
Related coursesYou may be interested in:
- Master of Literacy Education
- Master of English in a Global Context
- Master of Modern Languages Education
- Graduate Certificate in Modern Languages Education
- Professional Certificate in Education (Content and Language Integrated Learning)
- Master of TESOL
- Graduate Certificate in TESOL
- Professional Certificate in Arts Education