About the project
The Teaching Australia project seeks to support the teaching of Australian texts in primary and secondary schools. The project is designed to enhance Australian teachers’ knowledge of, and readiness to teach, Australian literature in the twenty-first century global context.
The project is led by Professor Susan Martin from LaTrobe University and Associate Professor Larissa McLean Davies from the Melbourne Graduate School of Education, Melbourne University.
The project seeks to:
- establish which Australian texts are being taught across the primary and secondary years of schooling
- gather in-depth data from secondary English teachers about their experiences of teaching Australian literature
- develop resources for texts that are often not taught, but that represent the diverse ways of articulating Australian experiences.
The research design includes a survey and three workshops for English teachers.
The project is a collaboration between the Melbourne Graduate School of Education, The University of Melbourne and LaTrobe University. The project is supported by the Copyright Agency.
Are you teaching English in Year F-10? How do you go about selecting and teaching Australian texts?
Share your views on Australian literature and contribute to the development of future resources for schools. Please complete this short survey to provide your input to this important research.
In these workshops, English teacher participants will be introduced to new Australian texts and short stories, particularly by Indigenous and migrant writers. Presenters will offer different approaches to teaching these texts, aligning these with the Victorian Curriculum and VCE Units 1 and 2 English and Literature. Texts covered will be suitable for students in Years 7 - 10.
Through the generous donation of publishers some of the texts discussed in the workshops will be provided to participants.
There are two opportunities to attend this workshop:
- Monday 5 December 2016, 5 - 6pm, Frank Tate Room, Level 9, 100 Leicester Street, Melbourne Graduate School of Education, The University of Melbourne, VIC.
- Monday 12 December 2016, 5 - 6pm, VATE, 1/134–136 Cambridge Street, Collingwood VIC.
Workshop attendance is free to teachers but only 20 places are available in each session so registration is essential. Please email email@example.com to register your place.