Public spending in education: investment or waste?
A high profile pre-election Q&A panel event hosted by the Melbourne Graduate School of Education.
Education is a crucial investment for Australia's future, yet our education system is falling behind. With public spending under pressure, we must focus investment on the greatest needs and use evidence to design interventions that work. The time, energy, funding and resources of the education community should be focussed on the practices and reforms that will make the greatest difference.
The expert panel forum was moderated by Maxine McKew, Honorary Fellow, MGSE, and included:
- Professor Field Rickards, Dean, MGSE
- Professor Geoff Masters, AO, CEO Australian Council for Educational Research (ACER)
- Professor Barry McGaw AO, Director, Assessment Research Centre, MGSE
- Professor Collette Tayler, Chair of Early Childhood Education and Care, MGSE
- Dr Glenn Savage, Senior Lecturer in Education Policy, MGSE, and
- Katherine Henderson, Director, University of Melbourne Network of Schools.
The event was followed by refreshments.
Monday 20 June, 4.30-6pm