University of Melbourne Network of Schools
The University of Melbourne has created a collaborative partnership for Victorian schools to learn from each other and to work together with world class researchers on strategies to improve student learning. The Network of Schools offers a framework for achieving your school’s goals and enhancing your teachers’ capacity."
I think we have a truly wonderful opportunity to make a difference but we need to do it together. That's the point of the Network."
The purpose of the Network is to collectively impact on improving the learning outcomes and experiences of students, through a structured program that focuses on teaching and learning, and to inform, build and use the evidence base of the University of Melbourne. The Network will enable schools to achieve things together that they may not be able to achieve on their own.
What does the University of Melbourne Network offer members?
- A University of Melbourne Network Director
- Access to ground breaking researchers and leading education theorists in the Melbourne Graduate School of Education
- Access to professional learning seminars for Principals, School Leaders and success coordinators
- A structured approach to working with school data sets and access to research-informed dashboards, so that the Network schools can evaluate how a school is progressing and demonstrate the impact of initiatives
- Support in building teachers’ instructional strategies aligned with agreed Network targets and the individual needs of each school
What do participating school leaders commit to?
- Leadership of learning and instruction as their priority
- Participating in 5-8 Network seminars per year
- Developing and sharing dashboards to evaluate Network and school outcomes
- Appointing a dedicated 0.5 EFT Success Coordinator
- Full participation of the School’s Success Coordinator in the professional learning program
- Participating in the Network for three years
Each school needs to commit the 0.5 EFT salary for their Success Coordinator, and a Network membership fee of $16,500 per year.
Introducing Success Coordinators
Each participating school appoints a Success Coordinator from their staff on a 0.5 EFT time fraction to work with their School Leadership team, as well as Network and University of Melbourne colleagues to implement the Network’s shared professional approaches to teaching and learning in their schools.
Approaches can include:
- Developing dashboards and other resources that focus on leading the use of educational data in the school
- Collaborative processes in our schools to support all students’ learning
- Developing a regular monitoring process for all students
- Generating and sharing school-based solutions based on internal and external research
- Evaluating all school-based implementations and outcome
- Collaborating with teaching and learning leaders in your school to provide relevant leadership and professional development on high impact instructional strategies
- Working with teachers to develop evaluation of interventions
- The collection of evidence, and conducting sessions about the interpretation of evidence and impact, leading to defensible and transparent evidence about interventions
- Linking school activities into the wider activities and resources of the University of Melbourne
Who can join?
Members will be drawn from across government, independent and Catholic schools; rural and metro schools; and primary, secondary and P-12 schools. The key criteria are a deep commitment of the School Leadership Team and the School Council or Board to leading student learning and instruction, and a clear purpose in wanting to participate in the Network.
The Network is directed by Katherine Henderson of the Melbourne Graduate School of Education, previously the Regional Director, Western Metropolitan Region, Department of Education and Early Childhood Development.
Expressions of interest
Expressions of interest are now open for 2017, and close on 20 September 2016.
The University held an information session in August 2016 for schools interested in joining the Network.
Phone: 9035 6302
Testimonials from Network members
The University of Melbourne Network of Schools (UMNOS) is a true community of practice, well supported by intense and ongoing work with highly regarded researchers and experts, and limited only by [your school’s] willingness to take the journey.
UMNOS has provided us with the opportunity to work collaboratively with other schools; to learn from each other’s successes and failures and deepen our understanding of what truly matters in education – getting the best possible outcomes for every student.